5 Health Benefits To Salmon
1. Salmon makes you both smarter and happier. Eating salmon on a consistent basis reduces the risk of depression and dementia. Basically, the brain is nearly 60% fat and most of that is the omega-3 fatty acid DHA – found in salmon. So eating salmon helps the brain stay fat and happy.
2. Salmon helps cardiovascular health. Thanks to its high levels of omega-3 fats, EPA and DHA, the fats in salmon offer many cardiovascular benefits – including decreasing inflammation and lowering risk of blood clotting. When eaten 2 to 3 times weekly, salmon helps to lower the risk of heart attacks, strokes, arrhythmia, high blood pressure and high triglycerides.
3. Salmon helps osteoarthritis and other inflammatory joint conditions. Salmon contains small proteins called bioactive peptides (including esteemed “calcitonin” ) which have been shown to increase, regulate and stabilize collagen synthesis in human osteoarthritic cartilage. (Note: That’s a fancy shmancy way of saying it helps build strong bones and joints!)
4. Salmon offers lots of vitamin D. Vitamin D gets a big “A+” when it comes to helping people to maintain their optimal health. Vitamin D deficiencies have been linked to an increased risk of cancer, cardiovascular disease, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis and type-1 diabetes. (Note: One can of salmon, contains a day’s worth of vitamin D!)
5. Salmon protects eyes. Eating salmon twice a week has been shown to significantly decrease the risk of “macular degeneration” — a chronic eye condition that leads to loss of vision.