A 60-Second Mood Booster (Which Is More Effective Than Affirmations)
A lot of people love to do affirmations first thing in the morning – to feel peppy and positive.
I myself used to do them.
But then I kept feeling like affirmations weren’t effective at persuading me to feel more positive – especially when I was in a particularly negative frame of mind – which is when I most needed the mental and emotional support.
- It’s hard to believe “I am making lots of money” when you’re staring at a scary Amex bill – which has transformed your “Gold Card” into an “In The Red Card.”
- It’s hard to believe “I am loved and in love with a soulmate partner who makes me feel safe and cherished” when your partner is showing evidence of being a major “Prince Harming” or “Princess Harming.”
In fact, fluffy affirmations can sometimes wind up making you feel worst – because they can make you become even more aware of how you’re not living up to the affirmation’s hyperbolic hype.
I believe affirmations have one MAJOR FLAW…
When you’re in a highly negative state, then one-size-fits-all peppy affirmations will feel jarringly false – and you’ll thereby instantly resist absorbing them into your thought system.
Here’s a helpful solution….
Pour yourself a “Cockytale” – a delicious blend of positive facts and/or marvelous memories – prepared just-for-you-and-only-you.
How do you make a Cockytale?
Let’s say you wake up feeling negative about your job. You begin playing a loop of self-flagellating thoughts about how you’re gonna mess up a big client meeting.
In this scenario, I recommend you pour yourself a nice powerful “Cockytale” about that time you slam-dunked a project in the past – or – scored wildly well on a test – or – were adoringly placed high up on a cushy pedestal for your talents.
“Cockytales” are very different than affirmations – because unlike affirmations a “Cockytale” logically counteracts the negativity in your subconscious and conscious mind – by reminding you of all the very real reasons you should be feeling cocky and positive about yourself and your life.
How do you make your very own powerful “Cockytales”?
- View your negative thoughts for what they are: liars and bullies!
- Start gathering ingredients for your Cockytale! Think up (and write down!) 5 cocky memories from your past that make you swagger.
- Each day you can shop for lots of new ingredients for new freshly made “Cockytales” by repeatedly asking yourself the following questions: When was a time I did the seemingly impossible? When was a time I felt totally loved? When was a time I felt super proud? When was a time I felt totally confident in my abilities? When was a time I felt in my full power? When was a time I felt very attractive and magnetic? What would my best friend say is something awesome about me? What would a mentor or “safe” family member say is something amazing I have achieved?
I’m a huge believer in the power of “Cockytales.” They are the “Thought Breakfast of Champions” – and a terrific way to start your day. I wrote about the power of Cocktales in my newest book THINK HAPPY. (In fact, this essay is an excerpt from THINK HAPPY!)
Oh – and don’t just limit Cockytales to your morning routine! In the same way you might enjoy a coffee whenever you feel your energy fading, I recommend preparing a “Cockytale” whenever you might feel your positive energy fading in your day.
“Cockytales” are more powerful than affirmations, because “Cockytales” have 3 things going for them that affirmations are missing…
- “Cockytales” are a thought system based in logic – and thereby they can counteract your whiny, negative-spewing subconscious mind.
- “Cockytales” are personalized just for you. They are not one-size-fits-all fluffy statements like affirmations – so once again they are more effective at hushing your yakking negative-spewing subconscious mind.
- “Cockytales” directly build up your self esteem – and high self esteem is the antidote to fear and doubt. For this reason, when you directly and clearly remind yourself of true self-empowering facts and confidence-building memories, you will immediately feel your fears and doubts start to diminish.